I have mixed feelings about this class. Not to go into the stereotypical "poor me" routine that absolutely floods the internet but, poor me! The lone undergrad! I'm missing all of the secret handshakes and other pieces of (sometimes) critical information.
In all seriousness, this presents an interesting perspective. I have the greatest admiration for all of you MACers. I'm not sure that I could keep up with the workload that you have voluntarily taken upon yourselves.
This class appears to have been specifically designed for the MAC program. At one time it may have been different, but it seems nearly impossible to participate in this class as a non-MACer. As such, I am exploring other options open to me for replacement of the "typical" 504 course. In the meantime, I will strive to continue to partake in the class.
I'm fairly well-rounded when it comes to technology and technical know-how, so if any of you have issues that you need help on, let me know!
For some examples of my work:
- I have experience in web page creation: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dpalay/tracking/
- I have experience in Podcasting: http://www.rapodcast.net (Note: I also wrote the programming running this particular website.)
- I am also an accomplished photoshop user, but my photo site has gone by the wayside so I won't link it. If you want to see that stuff, just come find me in class. I'm the one with the green name card!
I am also available for contact at either dpalay@umich.edu or on Aol Instant Messenger as dpalayschool
3 comments:
Definitely an interesting first post...and an interesting position that you are in. Are you in an undergrad education program or a different degree program? As I'm sure you've been telling yourself over and over, you can learn interesting things from what may not seem like ideal situations.
As for the original intent or audience of the 504 course, I'm not sure. I do know that it is constantly evolving (I probably wouldn't recognize it and I just took it a couple of years ago!).
Let me know how you landed here (either through email or on the blog) and maybe I can help you get the most out of what seems like a situation that you didn't expect.
(And yes, the MACers will probably treat you like an outsider, it's a character flaw that they will most likely shed at graduation (unless they find themselves again surrounded by their cohort.))
Hi David
Thank you for offering your skills. And Thank you for sharing your podcast. I listened to the latest episode...sounds like you really enjoy the experience and it is well done.
I do want to address your concern over the course itself. Jeff and I want you to stay in the class, as it sounds as though you could be helpful to many of the MACers. I also want to emphasize that our course is not about skills (while we do spend some time teaching skills like wikis, blogs, podcasts, cellcasts, Kiosk...etc) we spend a lot more time integrating resources and ideas into teaching, discussing how to do this, discussing legal issues/safety. Teaching with Technology is not about skills but rather a point of view...how to teach the 21st Century student.
I am so jealous that you have actual, usable, techy type skills! I have nothing more recent than fortran. So sad.
I hope you stay though - it is nice having someone with an outside-to-the-MAC-program viewpoint on things.
(-:
Post a Comment